If you are a fan of instagram, you have probably enjoyed gorgeous handwritten quotes and affirmations created by the very talented Lauren Dragosetti, aka Just Sayin’ Girl. But beyond social media, her work includes hand crafted quotes which can be framed and/or personalised for special occasions or events. Once just a hobby, but now a thriving business, this is her creative biz story . . .
- When and why did you decide to start your own creative business?
It wasn’t actually me who came up with the idea to create Just Sayin’ Girl. I happened to show my friend some of my scribbles, and she said I’d be mad not to start an Instagram account! Initially I was hesitant as while I’ve always loved lettering and illustration, typography was just something I did for myself for stress relief. Two years on, I’m so thrilled that I’ve been able to establish a business from something that I love doing.
- Tell us about your business – what products do you create, and why?
A huge part of my business is the personalization. Providing a service to create something truly unique. My products range from prints, cards, logos and branding to photo booth backdrops and even live typography sessions.
- What motivates you to run a creative business?
The feedback I receive from my clients and the followers I have on Instagram. I love being able to give something that not only makes people happy, but also something they can treasure.
- What has been the hardest lesson you have learnt so far about working for yourself?
Managing my time. At the moment Just Sayin’ Girl is still a side job. I currently work for a big company full time which is deadline driven – so, to ensure I can maintain Just Sayin’ Girl, I need to be very well organized.
- Roughly what percentage of time do you spend on the creative side of your business?
I would say 60 per cent of my business is creative and the other 40 per cent is spent doing admin and postage!
- What part of your business have you/or would you like to outsource?
The packing and postage!
- What is your top tip for someone thinking of starting an independent design business?
Allow yourself time to develop and be known and constantly work on perfecting what you do – the more practice you have, the better you’ll become.
- What’s the most fun/satisfying part of your working day?
Writing is certainly the most fun thing – it’s also so incredibly relaxing for me, but the most satisfying part is sending the client a proof of what I’ve created before I send it to print and receiving their feedback. Most clients are so thrilled and I can feel the excitement through their emails – it’s a brilliant feeling!
- Who would you most like to collaborate with, and why?
I would love to work with some of the big chain stores creating some great prints for tees. It’s the best way to express yourself – through your style!
- What are you working on for the year ahead and do you have anything new coming up?
I’m constantly working on reinventing Just Sayin’ Girl – keeping it current and appealing. I’ve got lots of ideas in the works, but you will just have to wait and see . . !
Your name: Lauren Dragosetti
Business name: Just Sayin’ Girl
Website address: www.justsayingirl.com
Do you sell wholesale? Yes
Do you ship overseas? Yes
URL link to your website or shop page: www.justsayingirl.com